Monday, July 26, 2010

TGIS (Thank God It’s Sunday)



Summer television used to be full of reruns, game shows and reality TV, now it is the Mecca of entertainment. Thank you True Blood, Mad Men, and Entourage. I am now a permanent part of my couch/futon on Sunday evenings. Sunday hasn't been this intriguing since the glory days of The Sopranos and Sex and the City.
Let’s recap.

True Blood
As many of you already know, I am a vampire enthusiast. I love True Blood. I have read all 9 Sookie Stackhouse books (reading # 10 right now). It’s the one show that actually is more inventive and entertaining than the books. This is a statement that I rarely make, being an avid reader and a true believer, that books trump movies/TV shows all the time. Although they have changed key parts in the book and accelerated some of the storylines, I am still pleased.
The decision to keep Lafayette alive, invent teenage vamp, Jessica, and add Sam's white trash family, improved the quality and fun of the show. I have one major complaint. It is TOO BLOODY. A little gore is expected and I do love those Ann Rice vampire tears, but come on. Vampires are not that messy. They enjoy drinking blood and would NEVER waste a drop. You would never see a vampire walk into a room with a face covered in blood. That being said, I hope the action and the storylines continue to surprise me this season.

Mad Men
Don Draper has come back in style for season four. He is now a single man struggling to get some lovin in the back of a cab with his blind date. Luckily for Don, he still has his hooker to slap him around on Thanksgiving. The show seems to have taken a turn back to the office, where we love Don the most. Although his little agency lacks a 2nd floor he still has balls of steel. The way he kicked those clients out of his tableless conference room, when they refused to take a risk was classic. I know many a modern day ad man/woman, who would love to kick some prude-like clients to the curb.
Tonight’s opening scene was brilliantly written. I loved the fact that a one-legged guy from Ad Age interviewed Don. Betty continues to be a bad mother, despite being married to an old mamma’s boy. When did this even happen? Was the ink dry on her divorce? Why are they still living in Don’s house, while he is forced to live in some dingy apartment? Peggy has a new haircut and a fresh rebellious side. Pete is still smarmy and Roger remains king of the one-liners. It looks like it’s going to be a delicious season, even if Don Draper has to shine his own shoes.

Entourage
Entourage is in its 6th season and to be completely honest, I wasn’t really looking forward to this one. I must say I am pleasantly surprised so far. I loved the show for the first two seasons but by the end of last season, I was finding the show tiresome. How much longer can we live vicariously through Vince and company? When you have seen one Hollywood party, it feels like you have seen them all.
Vince as a character has started to bore me. I may also be a little bias because the actor that plays him had a complicated friendship with one of my best friends. Prejudices aside, his character still runs a little b-flat these days. Refreshingly, this season has a wider focus. Between Turtle’s new business, Eric’s branching out to clients outside of the Vince Universe, and Ari being Ari, the series has taken a turn towards the funny again. With the spotlight shifting from Vince to his crew the series has a new life to it. I almost forgot to mention my all time favorite storyline, Drama coming to the realization that he is funny. Bravo Boys, Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment