Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tales from a Haight Cafe...



People’s Café 6/29/10 1-2pm
1419 Haight Street
Notes:

As I enter I feel suddenly relaxed. Warm colors, an open but cozy vibe. I stand in line behind only a few people. Most of the tables are taken. I snap a quick photo making sure not to capture anyone’s face.

An attractive guy behind the counter wearing a bowler hat appears. I order a Philly Cheese Steak and an ice tea.

I grab one of the last available tables. Centrally located but not ideal for people watching.

I scan the room and am pleasantly surprised. I figured the place would be full of dreads and patchouli because of its location but am happy to discover all walks of life.

The tables are glass with coffee beans inside. Clever.

I am sitting next to a group of three young guys. They have known each other for years. They use familiar tones and body language. They even dress alike. Skinny jeans, t-shirts, chucks. They talk about fishing, wake boarding, and how they should quit smoking. The one closest to me smells like cloves. The clove smelling one starts telling a story. It involves the EPIC summer of 97 and Zephyr Cove in South Lake Tahoe. After the 3rd “dude,” I tune out.

My sandwich arrives and it smells amazing. Full of onions.

The spots along the walls are reserved for the hard-core laptopers. The only places with plugs. Mac’s rule the space. Lined up. Silver-plated glistening in the sun.

The tables in the middle are more social. Lunch dates between friends and colleagues.

To the right a girl in her mid 20’s sits playing with her new iphone. Uggs, blue blazer, she looks like she’d rather be somewhere else.

One of the hard-core laptopers sits frustrated, head in hands. Writer’s block? He stands up, stretches, and orders more coffee.

The man next to him looks exactly like Ray Romano. He types with purpose on his Mac, as if each letter is telling a story.

Some guy is complaining loudly about how he got the wrong sandwich but it didn’t stop him from eating half of it. The attractive barista, (Nathan) isn’t phased. He just smiles and tells the difficult guy he will replace it.

Two young guys enter. More skinny jeans. They look hung over. They order and sit next to me. The EPIC boys have thankfully left. They talk about how great it is to finally be able to order the “hangover special.” I was right. I am curious. I go up to the counter and look around. It doesn’t take long to spot the sign. Hangover Special – 10oz steak & eggs served with hash browns and toast. $10.95

I sit back down and smirk.

Two locals enter. Nathan knows them by name. Tattoos, messenger bags, nose piercings, sunnies clipped to their jeans. They order off the Vegan Menu. They sit directly behind me.

I get up to use the bathroom. It reminds me of CBGB’s. All red with graffiti. Made me feel angry. Too much red.

When I sit back down I discover that the locals behind me are talking about Nazis. Not sure the context. Not sure I want to know.

The lunch rush is over. Can finally hear the music. Distracted by Vampire Weekend’s, “The Kids Don’t Stand a Chance.”

I hear Nathan tell someone about the Happy Hour specials from 5-10 pm. Make a note to come back for it.

My phone buzzes. Words with Friends. I am now distracted. I take that as my cue to leave.

For more interesting cafe observations from talented writers/storytellers please go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment