Saturday, April 16, 2011

Close, But No Cigar




As the NBA playoffs approach, I lament the passing of yet another year of Fantasy Basketball. This year I came so close to winning, that I must admit how much I detest the sting of second place. I would rather come in towards the bottom of the pack then a mere 2.5 points behind the league leader.

Even though my pride is wounded and the competitor in me wants a recount, I am still proud of my standing in the end. Out of the 12 teams, I was the only female manager. I had to prove myself multiple times during the season. At least once a week, I would get a trade request from another manager that was ridiculous. I’m not sure if they thought I was stupid or were just trying to test my skills but most of the trades were downright insulting. Yes, I am a girl but I know my basketball stats. I am well aware of each player’s worth. You cannot have Kevin Love or D. Rose.

This season I was in it to win. Although I played in a free public league and there was no money on the table, I had my eye on the prize. I strategically sat out some players so I wouldn’t max out any positions before their time. The winner of my league played hard-core all the way through and ended up maxing out 4 positions in the last few weeks. I would have landed on top, had I not spaced out during March Madness and forgotten to play key players when it mattered most.

The end of this season was bittersweet. Now that I have almost tasted victory, I am looking forward to kicking some fantasy basketball ass next season! I just pray that I end up with a team as awesome as the one I had this year. Thanks boys!


My Awesome Team


No comments:

Post a Comment