Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Flashback to 1994




Last night I was lucky enough to catch Weezer’s Memories Tour, where they played their greatest hits from the last 16 years and the entire Blue Album straight through. The show was amazing. At first I was shocked that they broke it up into 2 sets because the first set (greatest hits) was only about 40-minutes long. 

When the band came back it was as though a time warp had swept through the building. The whole demeanor of the evening changed and I was transported back to 1994. Rivers and company did an amazing job recreating the tone of the times. They rocked that mother ship shaped auditorium with a good old-fashioned deafening show.

The whole night made nostalgic for those simple but crazy times of my youth. It also had me pondering the things that really mattered to me in 1994. 

Here are a few of those things:

The untimely death of Kurt Cobain
Graduating HS
My first trip to Seattle where I stalked Eddie Vedder and met some members of Soundgarden
Watching the X-Files
Flannel shirts
Seeing the Grateful Dead’s Summer Tour
Undonethe Sweater Song
Ann Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles (this is when I began my vampire novel)
Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall (the scene where he rides in on the horse is the best)
Drinking cheap wine bought by my older legal friends (Glen Ellen White Zinfandel, the fat bottle)

Thanks Weezer for helping me take my own personal trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment