Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Few Things I Forgot About Boston




The Charles


As many of you know I am an East Coaster. Born and bred in NY, I have always taken pride in my East Coast roots. This past week I traveled back to the Boston area, a spot that I have not been to in about 5 years. What I discovered (besides that fact that I am now a weather wimp) is that there are many things, I have forgotten about Boston.

1. I forgot what a total pain in the ass it is to drive a frakkin Roundabout. For those of you who have no clue what I am talking about, they are sometimes called traffic circles or rotaries. No matter what you call them, New England drivers always screw them up.

2. The weather can be bitter cold even in November. I forgot what it feels like to have your nose freeze. Thank you, walk around the Charles River. Side note: when I arrived it was unusually warm about 70 degrees. Within 2 days it dropped down to 40.

3. Walking across the street in downtown Boston is hard. They don't actually stop for pedestrians like California. They also have confusing crosswalks. With all the Irish pubs surrounding the city, I am surprised drunk college students don't get run over on a daily basis. Let's just say that my brother and I had a little trouble this Halloween crossing the street.

4. In my opinion the Boston Subway system (The T) is the best I have every experienced. If only it was so easy to get around in all major cities. Plus an added bonus is that the T unlike the NY subway system is relatively clean.

5. Everyone in Boston owns some kind of Red Sox gear. I realize every American city has its share of fans BUT when it comes to die-hard fanatics Boston takes first place. I know this sounds ironic coming from me a Yankees fan. NYers are just as passionate about the Yankees but we also have a huge Met fan base.

6. I am not a young college student anymore and I can't party like one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh come on, it wasn't that cold! Jim and I had a contest to see how long we could live without heat. We had to break down and turn it on when it reached 30. New York subways are alright. Sorry, I have to defend New York. ;) The Yankees rule and we are too old, unfortunately, to party like it's 1999. :(

    ReplyDelete