Friday, October 2, 2009

Rachel’s Bizzaro Summer Concert series Part 3


Show # 3 Poison and Def Leppard @ Shoreline

Some of you may wonder how come I am not embarrassed to list this one but I will never hide from my Glam Rock past. In the mid 80’s when many of my friends were listening to New Kids on the Block, Debbie Gibson, and Tiffany, I was cranking up Poison, Motley Crew, Bon Jovi, Guns & Roses, Skid Row, Warrant, Cinderella and Def Leppard. Most people who know me well are aware that my first real concert was the Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet Tour. I was 9. My mom took my brother and I and I distinctly remember her getting into a fight with some teenage terra in the ladies bathroom and being called an old hag.

Anyway the last time I saw Poison and Def Leppard I was in 8th grade. So this present day experience was extremely different. I got drunk on cheap beer and had a kick ass time. I was surrounded by an odd crowd part old rockers, part late 20’s early 30’s, and many trailer park whiskey tango people dressed in beaters. The show itself was fun. Poison only played for an hour, which surprised me. They played all the old favorites: Talk Dirty to Me, Fallen Angel, Unskinny Bop (what a ridiculous song) and Every Rose. Big John came on stage to film stuff for the troops. Bret Michaels seems to be fixated on 2 things slutty women and the armed forces. Go figure. We missed Cheap Trick because parking was crazy.

Def Leppard rocked hard. They still sound great and put on a good visual show. Joe Elliot had laryngitis but still belted out the lyrics with presence. I still think Rock of Ages is one of the best rock songs from this genre. A good time was had by all and I was glad not to be driving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment