Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Why are we different?


Last week I was visiting my undergrad college roommate and I hadn't seen her or her fabulous mother in a long time. The first question her Mom asks is "am I seeing anyone"? She hasn't seen me for about a year and so much has happened in my life and hers but that was the first thing she wanted to talk about. Later over many glasses of wine we all had an interesting conversation. When women reach a certain age and they are single no matter what else they have accomplished the question on everyone's mind is when will she settle down? Have a family? Get Married? This is not the same for men of the same age. Folks think they have plenty of time and since their sperm seems to work for a very long time people aren't concerned about that. This pisses me off. I thought in 2009 that a woman can be smart, successful, sexy, and single. I will not settle. Of course I would love a male partner for many reasons but I will never reach that "age of anxiety" where I just close my eyes and pick one that will just do. Ok climbing off my soapbox now.


2 comments: