Monday, February 21, 2011

My Deep Thoughts on All-Star Weekend

As you all know by now, I am an NBA fanatic. To me, All-Star weekend feels a lot like an early Christmas present combined with some awesome socks from Hanukkah Harry. Because I love my 15 followers so much, I am going to give you my impressions (likes as well as dislikes) broken down by events.

Friday Night
2011 NBA All-Star Celebrity Game
Things I learned from watching the game:
White men can jump thanks to Michael Rapaport.
Common’s got game.
Scotty Pippen still has it.
Justin Bieber is succeeding in his evil plan of world domination. Not only was he in the game but he also was named MVP. Really?




2011 Rookie Challenge
Highlights:
DeJuan Blair proved that ACL’s are overrated.
Cousins kicked some serious ass.
Adidas has a hideous line of sneakers coming soon to a store near you.
John Wall deserved to be the #1 pick and MVP (unlike Bieber) with 12 points and 22 assists.
John Wall’s Bounce Pass Alley-Oop to Blake Griffin was reason enough to watch the game.
The Rookie Challenge used to be played more like an actual game. This year it was almost as bad as the veterans. The game was all offense with high scoring and no defense but still extremely fun to watch.



Saturday Night
Shooting Stars
Defending champs Texas seemed like the favorite but Atlanta came from behind in the second round to knock them out of the winner’s circle.
A slightly fatter Kenny Smith still has game. He made the half-court shot on his first try. I am sure Charles will never hear the end of it.

Skills Challenge
My pick to win this was one of my favorite fantasy players, D. Rose.
I was not only surprised but also ecstatic when my hometown hero Stephen Curry took the prize. Way to represent buddy 28.2 seconds. Bravo!

3-Point Contest
I was looking forward to this event because it was pitting two Celtics against one another. I was curious to see who would take home the trophy, returning champ Paul Pierce or the 3-Point Guru, Ray Allen (who was my personal pick).
I felt bad for Durant when he scored only 6 pts in the first round. I agree with my man Charles, he is a scorer not a shooter.
In the end one of the only Heat players I don’t detest stole the show. James Jones beat out both Celtics for the win. Awesome.

Dunk Contest
Blake Griffin is the shit and he deserves respect but can’t we just remove ourselves from all this razzle-dazzle. I can’t wait to see him in a few years. He has actually made the Clippers a watchable team again. Do we really need cars, choirs, stuffed animals, and multiple hoops?
My favorite Blake dunk of the night was the spinning one. He has an amazing combination of power and grace, not to mention upper body strength.
Why didn’t Serge Ibaka get a 50 for his dunk where he took off from behind the free-throw line?


Sunday Night
The All-Star Game
My Highlights of the actual game:
When Doc Rivers put in his second rotation that consisted of four Boston Celtics and a cringing Dwight Howard the crowd in the Staples Center erupted with boos.
Then Ray Allen air balls a three and hears it from the crowd.
Watching in suspense as Ginobili’s bald spot grew larger and larger.
Seeing Kobe shine with 37 points and a much deserved MVP award.
All kidding aside in the fourth quarter the game became competitive and actual defense was played (probably due to LeBron’s pep talk).
In the end the West proved that they were best.
West – 148 (51% shooting)
East – 143 (47% shooting)















No comments:

Post a Comment