Monday, January 17, 2011

Hurray for the Hollywood Foreign Press


As I sat glued to my TV for three hours watching the Golden Globes, I realized award season was in full swing. This year however I was impressed that the Hollywood Foreign Press actually honored the right actors. In a year of brilliant performances, it was hard to choose who was “best.”

Highlights of the show:

Ricky Gervais showed no mercy as he attacked Charlie Sheen’s hooker fetish, Mel Gibson’s racism, Robert Downey’s drinking problems, his own Atheism, and Tom Cruise’s sexuality. People were offended. News flash, Ricky is over the top and very funny. He wasn’t acting out of character.

Melissa Leo and Christian Bale winning best supporting actors for The Fighter. This was an amazing film and deserved to win more but these two brilliant performers were definitely the scene-stealers of the movie and deserved recognition.

The Kids are All Right winning best comedy. Excellent storytelling mixed with a great script and incredible acting.

Colin Firth and Natalie Portman winning the best actor/actress in a drama. Both had demanding roles and were brilliant.

The Social Network cleaning up a plethora of awards at the show. Don’t get me wrong I loved this film and I thought it was well done. Even Trent Reznor got an award because of it. I just always find it interesting when a film gets voted as “best” but has no wins in the acting categories. At least they had the nominations unlike last year’s Avatar.

Last but certainly not least, I will mention one TV win that is near and dear to my heart.

Katey Sagal finally got the proper respect she deserves. Her demanding role as Gemma Teller Morrow is a force of nature. Finally Sons of Anarchy gets some recognition.

Once again I would personally like to thank the Hollywood Foreign press for recognizing excellence in a tough year.

Now that the Globes have finished and Ricky has been voted off the island, I am left eagerly awaiting the SAG awards and the Oscars. One of my favorite talented actors is hosting the Oscars. Can’t wait to see the crazy stunts James Franco pulls. Hopefully he won’t end up banned for life like Ricky.


 Jax and Gemma

No comments:

Post a Comment