Sunday, June 6, 2010

Old School but Still Ground Breaking



It’s funny how almost a decade after the genius Crispin Mini campaign, I still can’t even conceive of a more groundbreaking campaign. Whenever I am asked that expected question in an interview, I always answer the same. Usually, I am met by recognition but they still expect me to come up with something current, trendy, and more edgy. As an ex-copywriter and a passionate strategist, there is no other campaign that even holds a candle. In a time where BIG meant status, they were able to make small the new big, without using any conventional advertising. Today this would seem the norm but back then it was anything but. The ads were witty and well written. The creative content was new and fresh. Even the tagline, “Let’s Motor”, started a Mini movement. This campaign made people want to drive without even having a destination. This campaign made me want to get into advertising. Even the driver’s manual (The Book of Motoring) was inspiring. To this day I have not seen a campaign that in its entirety has blown me away to the extent that Crispin’s Mini Cooper campaign did. It was successful because it broke all the rules at the time but still came up with a huge ROI. It was creative, imaginative, cool, and EFFECTIVE. It created a counter culture of Mini drivers that is still growing strong almost a decade later.
http://marketallica.wordpress.com/2006/04/30/collection-of-alternative-mini-ads/

No comments:

Post a Comment