Saturday, May 15, 2010

Can a Yankee’s girl ever make it with a Red Sox’s boy?


Despite having a California zip code for the last decade, I will always be a New Yorker. When push comes to shove and I am asked where are you from, my answer is always the big apple. As a native New Yorker, I wear my love for all things New York like a badge of honor.

As many of you already know, I am a basketball addict. Being an avid NBA fan is devastating when you are from NY. I admit that the Knicks suck. I was bred to hate with every fiber in my being any sports team that resides in Boston. So the recent victory for the Celtics, left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope it will encourage Lebron to become a Knick next year and then maybe we won’t suck as much.
I am a self-proclaimed hater of all Boston based sports. The Yankee/Red Sox rivalry is one of the oldest and fiercest feuds in the baseball world. My love for the Yankee’s is in my DNA. I can remember fondly going to games with my dad and my brother when I was just a little tyke. The smell of a Yankee Stadium hot dog still brings a smile to my face. Hard-core Yankee fans and Red Sox’s fanatics follow their teams like a religion.

Just recently I had a conversation that raised the question can Yankee fans and Red Sox fans make it when it comes to romantic relationships? At first I was quick to answer of course, then I went home and really thought about it. I thought back to one of my past relationships, where I did date a native Bostonian and Red Sox's devotee. It was a complete disaster. We were constantly bickering about sports among other ridiculous things. I honestly believe that our desire to one-up each other stemmed from that old feud. Of course those weren’t our only problems. He was pretentious and vindictive. He definitely lived up to his nickname (courtesy of me) the Intellectual Ape.

In this world of absolutes there is still some hope. The one couple that manages to put their baseball allegiances aside are my parents. My dad is a die-hard Yankee's fan and my mom, born in Boston, is a loyal Red Sox's fan. How do these two crazy kids make it work? They avoid the subject at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment